We spent yesterday getting all our data synchronized from the old bluearc server to the new (technically still bluearc) server. Then we had to update all the systems in the building to point to the new server instead of the old. We also turned on the file deduplication feature for the new server as it should save us some serious space at minimal performance hit. And if the performance I'm seeing now is any indication, even with a full dedupe scan running, the farm rendering at full speed, and a couple workstations hammering away with abandon, we still haven't exceed 60% of the total capacity of the server. Which is great as we rarely hit the server that hard, even when in full production.
We are re-rendering episode 208 now both as a test and for the HD crew to start the process of updating the original episode to full 1080p. We rendered 60 shots in 10 minutes. That is nice. Very very nice. Our re-rendering script has a 10 minutes pause between submtting a group of about 20 shots, so the farm caught up to the submissions after 10 minutes and hasn't been fully loaded since. I kinda wish we'd taken the pause out before we did the render, just to see how long it would take. If the 60 shots/10 min rate holds up, thats 360 shots an hour, which is basically an entire episode. Granted, the earlier seasons were much simpler shots so it's not a perfect indicator of what we will see in season 17, but it's still a good indicator of the speed bump we are getting on the new server. For example, rendering episode 210 took around 3 hours total and that one had apprx. 400 shots. So, if my estimate was to hold up, we're looking at over a 100% speed up. Which I will take.
Of course, since all this work basically has to be done when no one is here, I have to work over the weekend. Which means no dev time for a while. And I have yet to even start playing The Last Of Us, which everyone is going apeshit over. Still, beats digging ditches.